Danby-Mt. Tabor Fire District #1 - Water System
Emergency: Call (802) 389-0081
The Fire District was created in 1919 by Act 254 of the Vermont Legislature, An Act to Establish Fire District No. 1 in Danby and Mount Tabor. The inhabitants of the Fire District who are registered voters in either town are the legal voters of the Fire District. Officers are elected at the Annual Meeting. The three Prudential Committee members and the three Auditors serve staggered three-year terms and the other officers serve one-year terms. The Fire District maintains and operates street lights and a water system.
The water system was constructed by Silas L. Griffith when he began purchasing rights-of-way for a pipeline from various land owners. In 1894, he purchased the "Spring Lot" from John and Catherine Grady for an undisclosed amount.
In 1946, the Fire District had a hearing before the public service Board because the still privately-owned water system was failing. It purchased the system from owner Mr. Gallagher for $2,000, the equivalent of $29,000 in 2019 dollars.
Pipeline replacement of the 60-year-old 1.5" lines with 3-inch mains commenced. The tax rate was set at .60 to finance the project. In 1947, the District purchased the rights to the Carley Spring and related rights-of-way and this source was connected to the system. During the summer of 1979, a new 3,000 gallon concrete storage tank was built and the old 1880's springhouse was dismantled.
During the late 1980's, many leaks appeared in the copper line from the Carley Spring to the tank, and it was replaced with 2-inch plastic. In the early 1990's, leaks appeared in the
distribution lines and there were a number of positive bacteria tests. A two-year, two-phase,
two million dollar bond issue was approved by the voters and a modern control building,
50,000 gallon reservoir to replace the 3,000 gallon tank, and all new six-inch ductile iron and
blue brute plastic mains were installed. Finally, in 2005, a 950-foot bedrock well was drilled on the District's land, as a back-up to the springs. The 23 acres around the Carley Springs was also purchased to ensure a pristine watershed around that spring. The District owns a combined watershed of 35 acres at the top of Easy Street.
Collin Zecher, Administrative Contact Thomas Fuller, Chair David Langsett, System Operator
Treasurer/Delinquent Tax Collector
Bradley J. Bender